“Angels of Mercy Medical Clinic has become an oasis for the elderly, chronically ill and complex patients without health insurance.”
The Virginia Gazette
Angels of Mercy was founded in 1997 by Jeanne Black, a Certified Nurse Practitioner. We started as a one day a week free clinic inspired by Sister Berenice of St. Bede Catholic Church. We have grown into a 501(c) 3 nonprofit healthcare corporation. Our patient load has increased by 67% in the last five years.
The Angels of Mercy team consists of Jeanne Black, Founder and Clinic Director; Jeff Black, Executive Director; Dr. George McBeath, Medical Director; Dr. Monique Sessler, Collaborating Physician; Dr. Ron Jolda, Dr. David Barley, Dr. Laureen Waldron; Beverley Smith, RN, Diabetes Educator; Cathy Sheedy, RN; and three part time Medical Assistants. We also have between 11 and 15 William & Mary Pre Med Students serving as volunteer Health Coaches.
Helping our Community
The majority of our patients are the working uninsured. Most of our patients are referred to us by Sentara’s ER. They come to us with four or more chronic illnesses and have neglected their health for years.
- 50% have high blood pressure.
- 40% have high cholesterol.
- 35% suffer from depression.
- 25% have Type 2 diabetes.
- 22% have asthma.
We enter our patients into our Therapeutic Lifestyle Program emphasizing prevention and self-management. Medical services are provided in the homes of patients too ill to travel. Our multidisciplinary team consists of counselors for nutrition, fitness, smoking cessation, and mental health as well as diabetes educators, RN case managers, a nurse practitioner, medical doctors, and health coaches. We see a typical patient over eight times a year as we help them back to good health and a better life style.
- Healthcare Hero Award presented by the Williamsburg Community Health Foundation.
- Excellence in Diabetes Care recognition through National Committee for Quality Assurance’s (NCQA) Diabetes Recognition Program.
- Women with a Cause Award presented by Monica Sigmon Photography and Towne Bank.
- Cruikshank Award presented by the United Way of Greater Williamsburg.
- Pioneer Nurse Award presented by the Virginia Nurses Association.
- National Community Service Award presented by NPACE.
- Inside Business Health Care Hero Award for Community Service – Patient Care
Our funding comes through grants from the Williamsburg Health Foundation, Sentara Health Foundation, Williamsburg Community Foundation, and donations from churches, service organizations, and individuals including some of our patients. Fundraising is vital to our program and we are continually seeking opportunities to form new partnerships for support.
Board of Directors Members:
- Robin Barrett Blesdoe
- Jim Elder
- Rick Garfield
- Maggie Gray
- Barbara Machinist
- Benjamin Machinist
- John Raines
- Kathy Shields, Secretary
- Muriel Slaughter, Treasurer
- Kristina Szurkus
- Bill Teale, Board Chair
- Donna Wilmoth
W & M Board Member:
- Callie Beard
- Mark Kintner
- Jeanne Black, Clinic Director
- Jeff Black, Executive Director
- Allison Lenthall, Development
If you wish to make a tax-deductible gift to the Angels of Mercy Medical Clinic, please make your check payable to Angels of Mercy / 7151 Richmond Road, Suite 401 / Williamsburg, VA 23188